Country gravy

Monday, December 8, 2008

I cooked in a nursing home for several years and the elderly residents always called white gravy country gravy. There was a lady that liked to hang around the kitchen and talk to me while I cooked and I asked her about it one day. She told me country gravy was just white gravy made with milk. After years of destroying perfectly innocent gravy, I have finally perfected it! *lol*

What you’ll need:

3 Tbl butter
About ¼ c flour
Milk
Pepper

How to...

Make perfect gravy...

Melt the butter in a skillet. With a wire whisk stir in flour until it’s a thick paste. Stir constantly. Add milk (about 1 c for 2 servings) stirring the whole time. Add pepper to taste. Keep stirring! That’s the most important part in making perfect gravy, don’t stop stirring until you have removed it from the pan. It will thicken in about 5 minutes over medium heat. Don’t have your heat too high or it will scald the milk. If your gravy gets too thick while cooking add more milk. Serve over gravy steaks, biscuits, toasted bread, mashed potatoes or anything else you like gravy on.

Cost:
butter - $1.75/pound
flour - $2.12/5 pound bag
milk - $3.99/gallon
Total - $0.39/ serving

0 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...