New year’s day black eyed peas

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Traditionally eating black eyed peas on New Year’s Day is thought to bring you good luck. My friend gave me this recipe a couple years ago and I was amazed by the delicious taste!

What you’ll need:

1 lb dry black eyed peas
2 c cooked ham, chopped
2 onions, diced
1 can whole tomatoes
1 pinch garlic powder
Salt & pepper to taste

Put peas in a large pot. Add enough water to fill the pot ¾ of the way full. Stir in ham, onions and seasonings. Put can of tomatoes in a blender or food processor and blend until the tomatoes are liquefied. Stir tomatoes into pot of peas. Bring to a boil. Cover pot and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 ½ - 3 hours or until peas are tender.

Cost:
black eyed peas - $0.89/bag
cooked ham - $2.12/lb
onion - $1.12
canned whole tomatoes - $1.19
Total - $4.20

0 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...