4-H Corn Special

Monday, January 12, 2009

My son participated in 4-H and I think I enjoyed it as much as he did. This is a recipe that has been made at many 4-H dinners.

What you’ll need:

1 lb ground beef
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 ½ c cooked rice
2 c seeded, chopped tomatoes
2 c corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
1 Tbl Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce
1 c crushed saltine crackers
¼ c butter, melted
Salt & pepper to taste

In a large skillet, brown beef and onion; drain and return to pan. Stir in rice, tomatoes, corn, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Mix until well combined. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish. Combine cracker crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Makes 6 servings.

Cost:
ground beef - $2.00/lb
onion - $1.12
rice - $2.12
tomato - $1.00
whole kernel corn - $0.40
Worcestershire sauce - $1.79
saltine crackers - $1.29
butter - $1.75/pound
Total - $7.98

0 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...