Cajun boiled peanuts

Thursday, January 22, 2009

My hubby is a Georgia man. He told me about boiled peanuts. I had no clue they even existed. After eating them….yum is all I have to say! This recipe makes A LOT of peanuts (5 pounds)…just warning you.

What you’ll need:

5 lbs raw peanuts, in shell
¾ c salt
1 ¼ c dill pickle slices, with brine (juice)
5 small jalapenos, sliced
5 Tbl dry crab boil (like Zatarain’s)

Place all ingredients in a large pot. Pour in enough water to cover the peanuts and stir to combine. Bring to a boil over medium high heat and cook until soft (at least 4 hours), adding water as needed. You want to keep the peanuts covered with water. Use a slotted spoon to remove peanuts from pot. Serve hot.

Cost:
peanuts - in shell - $2.29/lb
pickles - $2.12/jar
jalapeno - $1.08
crab boil - $2.18
Total - $14.63/$2.93 per pound

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

SCREAMING FOR CHOCOLATE said...

I do love me some boiled peanuts. So glad you stopped by my blog because it allowed me to find yours. I am all about good food and not spending a fortune.

Coco

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...