Crazy cake

Thursday, January 8, 2009

I had a chocolate urge about 1:00 am and I made this cake. It’s great for people with dairy allergies (or just people who are out of dairy products) because it doesn’t use any. And don’t worry about the vinegar. I promise you you can not taste it. If you didn’t know it was in there, you wouldn’t know. I made it into cupcakes instead of in the 8 x 8 pan I usually make it in. I just prefer cupcakes lately. It made 11 cupcakes. I didn’t take any pictures because it was 1:00 in the morning and didn’t think about it until I woke up and saw I didn’t dream I baked cupcakes! I did get a picture of the finished project though. Or what’s left of them. Sorry about the fingerprints, they were picked on a lot overnight! =) So delicious!

What you’ll need:

1 ½ c flour
1 c + 2 Tbl sugar
1/3 c + 1 Tbl cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 c cold water
¼ c vegetable oil
1 Tbl vinegar
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix dry ingredients until completely blended together. Stir in remaining ingredients one at a time and stirring well after each addition. Pour into a greased and floured 8 x 8 inch pan or cupcake tins. Bake about 30 minutes for cake, about 22 minutes for cupcakes. Frost as desired.

I made a simple chocolate frosting with ½ c butter, 1 tsp vanilla and about 4 c powdered sugar beat together until creamy. This cake is also very good with just powdered sugar sprinkled on top instead of frosting.

Cost:
flour - $2.12/5 pound bag
sugar - $1.99/4 lb bag
baking soda - $2.28/box
vegetable oil - $2.89
vinegar - $1.19
vanilla - $2.25
powdered sugar - $1.69
Total - $1.89

0 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...