Fruit pie

Friday, January 2, 2009

I made one of these today. It smells delicious. I can’t wait until dessert time!

What you’ll need:

For pie crust:

2 c flour
1 tsp salt
2/3 c + 2 Tbl shortening or firm butter
4 - 6 Tbl cold water

For filling:

1 - 2 cans pie filling (if you want it really thick use 2), I used peach today
¼ c brown sugar

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.


Mix together flour and salt.
Using a pastry blender or pulling 2 table knives through the ingredients in opposite directions, cut in shortening until particles are the size of small peas.




Sprinkle with water, 1 Tbl at a time, tossing with fork until all flour is moistened and pastry almost cleans side of bowl.


Gather pastry into a ball. Sprinkle with flour if the dough is too sticky.


Divide in half.


Shape into two flattened rounds on a lightly floured surface.
Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate about 45 minutes or until dough is firm and cold. This allows the shortening/butter to become firm and gives you a flaky crust.


Roll out to just larger than pie plate.


Fold dough in half, then half again.


Lay on pie plate and unfold.


Gently press into bottom and along sides of pie plate.


Sprinkle brown sugar evenly across bottom of crust.


Add fruit filling and spread out so that the fruit evenly covers the pie.


Roll the top crust out the same way you did the bottom, only this time either cut a design or some slits in the middle of the dough. This allows steam to escape from your pie while it’s cooking.


Fold dough in half, then in half again and lay on top of pie. Unfold. Trim excess around edges (I use chicken shears).


Seal edges by pinching them together. You can pinch and form any design you’d like. I just pinch it between my fingers all the way around the pie.



Lightly brush a little milk over pie and sprinkle with sugar (this is optional it just makes your crust look prettier if you don’t over cook it like I did today). Loosely cover with foil and put it in the oven.

Bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust is browned.


Ta da!


You can serve this warm with ice cream or allow it to cool and then serve. I prefer to let it cool for several hours before serving as the insides thicken up more in the refrigerator. It’s all a matter of personal taste. I actually fell asleep while baking this today so mine is a little browner than I usually cook it. Oops. But I’m sure it will still be delicious!

Cost:
flour - $2.12/5 pound bag
butter - $1.75/pound
brown sugar - $1.89/ 2 pound bag
pie filling - $1.99
Total - $2.55

0 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...