Just a note from Kathy

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I thought for once I would post an actual post instead of a recipe. I hope you don’t mind. It’s just for today. :-)

I’m really proud of this cookbook. I’d like to take a moment to thank the people that have sent in recipes. I’ve tried them all and enjoyed them thoroughly! Some of the recipes that don’t have a special Submitted by added at the end of them are still readers submissions. They just wished to NOT have their names published with their recipes. So a special thank you to those readers also. You are so appreciated.

By some of the responses I’ve received I am encouraged that more people are cooking at home again. With the state of our economy and the fear of commercially prepared food not being safe, I think cooking at home is the logical solution. Plus I think everyone enjoys the food so much more. I’m sure you’ve heard people say that something was cooked with love. I believe that’s a true statement. When I spend the time and make the effort to have a meal that I created rather than just popping open a box from my freezer and sticking it in the oven, I feel satisfied. Accomplished. Like I really did something good.

I know not everyone loves cooking as much as I do. Some people think of it as a chore. I used to be one of those people. I dreaded dinnertime. The planning, the shopping, the standing over a stove after working all day in of all things a kitchen. It was hard to cook all day and then turn around and cook again. Because of that most of the recipes I have here could be classified as easy. As much as I enjoy cooking, I don’t want to spend the whole day in the kitchen. So easy seems perfect.

I still cooked back then. I just didn’t enjoy it. And we ate out a lot more often than we do now. When times got tough though, my kitchen was what saved us and allowed us to eat when there was very little money. You can save so much money by buying the ingredients versus the actual meal. That still amazes me. I can feed the two of us on $175 a month. That breaks down to $5.83 a day. For two people. And we’re not barely scraping by when it comes to the food we eat. I can make full dinners, breakfast, snacks and desserts. I bake a cake every week (I really do). And Tim says we eat better now than we did when we had money to eat out all the time.

Last night I made lemon garlic fish filets, fried corn and baked macaroni and cheese. It was so good I can barely move this morning lol. I made a change to the fried corn recipe that I have posted here. On a whim I added 2 tablespoons of sugar to the batter. OMG it was good! You should try it some time!

That brings me around to the final thing I’d like to say about cooking at home. Have fun with it! Experiment. Remember when you were a little kid and you got to help bake cookies? Or maybe it was popcorn balls. Whatever that comfort food memory is for you, I’d like you to keep it in your mind when you’re in the kitchen. Anything is possible. Look at Famous Amos, just a man that loved baking his chocolate chip cookies. I know my cookie world will never be the same. Just like my experimenting and adding sugar to my tried and true recipe. You don’t know until you try. Cooking can be fun and not just a chore. To quote one of my favorites Peter Pan: Now, think of the happiest things. It's the same as having wings. (I’m a little bit of a kid stuck in a grown up body. It’s not always bad.) Just have fun in the kitchen!

That pretty much wraps up this rare cookbook nonfood-recipe. I’ll be back tomorrow with another favorite food-recipe to share. Thank you again to everyone, those who visit and those who contribute. Keep up the great work and I’ll be seeing you in the kitchen!

Happy Cooking!

--Kathy

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

SCREAMING FOR CHOCOLATE said...

Thank you for such a nice blog about food with delicious recipes....

Coco

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...