Spicy corn fritters

Saturday, January 31, 2009

I got this recipe off of the Betty Crocker website. I do a lot of cooking with biscuit mix and it just appealed to me. These fritters are delicious! The cost section that I always add to the bottom of my recipes has been figured with generic products (My apologies to Betty Crocker; I just can’t taste a difference). I’ve posted the recipe as it appeared originally though. Just know that you can use the generic products and get the same great taste.

What you’ll need:

Vegetable oil
4 cups Original Bisquick® mix
1 cup cold water
2 eggs
2 cans (15.25 ounces each) Green Giant® whole kernel corn, drained
2 cans (4.5 ounces each) Old El Paso® chopped green chilies, well drained
Old El Paso® salsa (any variety), if desired

Directions:

1. Heat oil (2 to 3 inches) in deep fryer to 375°F.

2. Stir Bisquick mix, cold water and eggs in large bowl with spoon until smooth. Stir in corn and chilies.

3. Drop batter by small spoonfuls into hot oil. Turn and fry until evenly golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve with salsa.

Makes 4 dozen fritters.

Variation: If you’re not up for spicy, check this. Skip the chilies and salsa, and serve the fritters with butter and maple syrup. Yum!

Success: Use a thermometer to make sure the oil temperature is 375ºF. Keep fritters crispy by placing them in an uncovered pan in a 300°F oven.

How to...

Test oil without a thermometer: If no thermometer is available, test the oil using a small cube of bread. As soon as you think the oil is hot enough, drop in the bread cube and count slowly to sixty. If the cube browns by this time, the oil is ready.

Cost:
biscuit mix - $3.00
eggs - $1.09/ dozen
whole kernel corn - $0.40
chilies - $1.19/can
salsa - $1.59
Total - $5.45

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

SweetPeaSurry said...

Another way to test oil is to use the stick end of a wooden spoon, if the oil bubbles around it, it's ready!

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...