Easy beef empanadas

Sunday, February 1, 2009

I just love empanadas and these are super simple. Canned biscuits make it so easy although I do like making my own dough too. Maybe tomorrow I’ll post a different type of empanada with the homemade dough. =)

What you’ll need:

1 lb ground beef
1 garlic clove
1 tsp salt
1 (15 oz) can corn, drained
½ c chopped onion
8 oz (1 c) grated cheddar cheese
1 c salsa, any variety you prefer
2 cans of refrigerated biscuits

Brown the ground beef in a frying pan adding the salt and pepper just before done. Drain and allow to cool. In a large bowl mix the corn, onions, cheese, and salsa, then add the cooled beef mixing carefully so not to break up all the cheese. Roll the biscuits out flat to about 2 ½ times their original size. Spoon about ¼ cup of the mixture onto the center of each circle being careful not the cover the edges. Fold the dough over the filling and pinch the edges closed. Make sure the edges are sealed well or your filling will ooze out while it’s baking! Place on lightly greased cookie sheet and bake @ 375 degrees until lightly browned, usually about 6 minutes but times may vary. Just watch them closely and when they are browned remove from oven. Serve warm. Makes 12 - 16 empanadas depending on how much filling you use on each one.

Cost:
ground beef - $2.00/lb
garlic cloves - $1.12
whole kernel corn - $0.40
onion - $1.12
shredded cheese - cheddar - $1.50
salsa - $1.59
canned biscuits - $1.09/4 pack
Total - $6.11

6 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Wendy said...

Woo, I'm making these tonight! I was gonna let the boys make their own little mini pizzas with the biscuit dough (we like to do this on movie night) but this sounds even cooler. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thank you, this is perfect!

Wendy said...

Okay, I didn't do it like you said and probably should have. I'm such a hideous cook. I decided to use pizza sauce instead so I could do kind of a pizza pocket. They came out really good except I'm not very good at pinching them shut! None of this is your fault, of course! I really blame it on my mother who has never explained to me about pinching pastries shut!

Kathy said...

lol Wendy quit that! Did they taste good though? I just love these. Next time use a fork to seal them closed since your fingers don't like to pinch. :)

Wendy said...

Oh, duh. That's a good idea. I think part of the problem also is I don't have a rolling pin (although I should at least have one to use on my husband if nothing else) and I was using a glass and the biscuits were sticking.

So... I sprayed Pam on everything. A lot of it. A biscuit sprayed with Pam will not stick to itself, hence... it doesn't like to stay pinched. I ended up patting them out instead of rolling them which worked really well.

And YES they were tasty! :) And so easy and fast!

JudyBug said...

These look so yummy! I will have to try them!

Kay said...

I am going to make these this weekend... The Maifan-San won't know what hit him!

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...