Easy chicken and dumplings

Friday, February 6, 2009

I usually make this recipe with the leftover chicken that we have after I bake a chicken. We usually only eat half of it as baked chicken. It’s a really delicious way to use the leftovers.

What you’ll need:

4 boneless, skinless baked chicken breasts OR ½ baked chicken, deboned and skinned OR 1 can chicken chunks
1 large can or 2 small cans cream of mushroom soup
1 large can or 2 small cans cream of chicken soup
1 small can sweet peas, drained
1 can sliced carrots, drained and chopped up
1 c milk
Pepper to taste

For dumplings:

1 c biscuit mix
1 egg
½ c milk

In a large pot over medium heat combine all of the ingredients except for the dumpling ingredients one at a time, stirring well after each addition. Do not add salt. There’s already a lot of salt in the other ingredients. Cook, stirring often, until it comes to a boil. Meanwhile mix together dumpling ingredients in a medium bowl. Mixture will be sticky. Mix just until combined. Using a large spoon, drop the dumpling mixture over the top of the chicken mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 10 - 12 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Feeds 5.

Cost:
chicken breast - $5.00/4 pack
cream of mushroom soup - $0.89
cream of chicken soup - $0.69
sweet peas - $0.99
carrots - $0.89
milk - $3.99/gallon
biscuit mix - $3.00
eggs - $1.09/ dozen
Total - $10.82/$5.82 using leftover chicken

6 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Heather, aka Jake's Mommy said...

I love me some quick and easy chicken and dumplings. When I'm feeling really lazy, I won't even make dumplings. I just cut up some biscuits and throw them in the pot! They turn out great and it's really not all that different!

sherri said...

This is great! Thanks for adding me to your link list.

I will return the favor! This recipe would be great on my site.

♥ Kathy said...

Thanks for the tip Heather! Sounds good and thank you Sherri! I'd love for you to add me to your list :) And you're more than welcome to use my recipes as long as you give me credit sweetie. I don't mind at all. SHARING recipes is how we keep them going!

Anne said...

Wow! You have been busy over here girl! I haven't realized how in depth your recipe blog was. Boy have I been missing out! I'll have to be sure and keep checking in. I just love your blog here. I think you've done a great job. I can tell that you have put in a lot of work here. And I also love the variety of foods you have here, all on one page. Keep up the great work! =)

♥ Kathy said...

Aww thank you Anne ♥ You are so sweet :) Have you tried that Crazy Cake yet? It's good stuff ;)

Coco said...

Yummy...If you want to get even faster on the dumplings use flour tortillas. You don't even have to roll them out. I just slice mine into the right size and toss them in.

Coco

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...