Italian Vegetable Soup

Saturday, February 7, 2009

To make this vegetable soup a vegetarian dish just substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. Also I always make my own broth using bouillon cubes but the canned broth is great too.

What you’ll need:

3 ½ c chicken broth
1 medium - large potato, peeled and cubed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
½ c frozen peas
1 tsp Italian seasoning
½ tsp pepper
½ c small shell pasta, cooked and drained
1 can (14-½ oz) diced tomatoes, undrained

In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients except the pasta and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add the pasta and tomatoes. Cook and stir about 10 minutes or until it is heated through. Feeds 6.

Cost:
bouillon cubes - $1.89/jar of 20
potatoes - $2.00/5 lb bag
onion - $1.12
fresh carrots - $1.19
celery - $0.99
frozen peas - $1.68
seashell pasta - $1.89
diced tomatoes - $0.89
Total - $6.20

3 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Coco said...

MMMMMMmmmmmmm.... I want some now. Yummy.

Coco

sherri said...

Anything I've ever made with Italian seasoning is good, so I can wait to try this one.

♥ Kathy said...

It's one of my favorites! And it's easy to make too :)

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...