Southern style collard greens

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Let me tell you a secret. I hate collard greens. I also hate ham hocks. But put the two of them together and I love them! Isn't that odd? This recipe is so easy that it's almost NOT a recipe but I'm going to post it because I know one day a long time ago I had no idea how to cook collard greens :)

What you'll need:

1 lb ham hocks
3 qt water
5 lb collard greens, washed, stems removed
1 Tbl sugar
Salt and pepper

Place water and ham hocks in a large pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and cook until meat is tender (approximately 1 hour). Cut collard leaves in half and put in pan. Add sugar. Stir well. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer on medium heat until collards are tender (approximately 2 hours). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with cornbread. Feeds 4 - 6.

Cost:
ham hocks - $3.89
collard greens - $1.12/lb
Total - $9.49

2 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

SCREAMING FOR CHOCOLATE said...

SHUT UP... Now I want collard greens with ham...not ham hocks. They are my favorite greens. Yummy. You can tell I am a southern girl can't you....I grew up next door to you in Louisiana.

Coco

Scottie said...

See if ya had said "Mustard Greens" then I would be all over this one.

collards ain't exactly one of my favorite greens.

:)

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...