Champ (Irish potatoes)

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone! I decided you needed an authentic Irish recipe today and I can't think of anything more authentic than Champ! Plus it's super simple to make! Enjoy your Irish day!!

What you'll need:

4 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 pound green onions (scallions), chopped
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons salt
4 ounces (1/2 c) butter

Boil the potatoes until tender. Simmer the green onions in milk for about 5 minutes. Drain potatoes and mash. Add the hot milk and scallions, salt, pepper and half the butter and mix. Serve with remaining butter. Serves 4 - 6.

Cost:
potatoes - $2.00/5 lb bag
small onions - $1.50/bunch
milk - $3.99/gallon
butter - $1.75/pound
Total - $3.31

0 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...