"Diet" mac and cheese

Thursday, April 2, 2009

I know sometimes some of the recipes I post aren't weight friendly. I have always been blessed with the ability to eat and eat and not gain weight (please don't hate me) but I've had many family members and friends that did have to watch what they ate. Because of that I tried this recipe when I came across it (I think it was in a cookbook but I can't remember which one) and it is delicious! It's creamy and decadent and doesn't taste like a "diet" food at all!

What you'll need:

1 cup uncooked jumbo elbow macaroni (3 oz)
1/3 cup frozen sweet peas
2/3 cup fat-free (skim) milk
1 oz reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), cut into small pieces, softened
2 slices process American cheese
2 tablespoons crushed fat-free herb-seasoned croutons

Cook and drain macaroni as directed on package, omitting salt and adding peas for the last 5 minutes of cooking. Meanwhile, in nonstick skillet, heat milk, cream cheese and American cheese over medium-low heat, stirring carefully with wire whisk, until cheese is melted. Add cooked macaroni and peas to cheese sauce; stir to coat. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve topped with croutons. Serves 4.

Cost:
elbow macaroni - $1.75
frozen peas - $1.68
milk - $3.99/gallon
cream cheese - $2.06
sliced cheese - $3.12
Total - $5.33

3 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

sherri said...

Recipes sounds good, but more importantly, I MISS YOU! Hope all is well.

sherri said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You are the winner of my SPRING FLING GIVEAWAY at EVERYTHING IN MODERATION!!!

COme make your acceptance speech!

Happy Easter.

pollicino said...

I have visited your very interesting blog.Do You want visit the my blogs for an exchange visit?Grazie.
http://internapoli-city.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...