Simple cheesecake

Thursday, August 27, 2009

I thought I'd post a cheesecake recipe today since I posted tips on successful cheesecakes yesterday. I realized I have MOST my price list right here on my cookbook (duh Kathy...I know). Be sure to use the tips I gave yesterday to ensure this cheesecake is creamy.

What you'll need:

1 1/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
1 Tbl. butter
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs, separated
1/2 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. lemon extract

Mix together graham cracker crumbs and butter and press into a 9" pan (you can use a springform pan or a pie plate); set aside. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Beat the egg yolks and set them aside; allow the egg whites to come to room temperature while mixing the remaining ingredients. Beat the cream cheese well. Add the milk, beaten egg yolks, sugar, salt and extracts; mixing well after each addition. Beat the egg white until stiff and gently fold into cheese mixture. Pour into pan and bake 45 minutes. Makes 1 cheesecake.

Cost:
graham crackers - $1.09
butter - $1.79/lb
sugar - $1.99/4 lb bag
milk - $3.99/gallon
cream cheese - $2.06
eggs - $1.09/dozen
vanilla extract - $2.25
lemon extract - $2.25
Total - $4.13

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Doris Sturm said...

That cheesecake recipe sounds delish, but WOW, where do you shop? I don't even see those low prices in the cheapest Dollar stores here and I live in the sticks in South Georgia, but amazingly the grocery prices here very much like Southern California, only the quality is terrible.

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...