Holiday nut cake

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Photobucket

This is a great cake to take along to a holiday party this year.

What you'll need:

1 lb. cake flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 lb. sugar
1/2 lb. (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 wine glass of white wine
1 1/2 lbs. raisins
6 eggs, separated*
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 qt. (4 cups) pecan pieces
Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Grease and flour a bundt pan (tube pan) and set aside. Cream the butter and the sugar until the sugar is dissolved (this takes about 20 minutes of mixing and the mixture is no longer white). Sift flour and baking powder together. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, alternating with flour/baking powder mixture. Add wine. Fold in pecan pieces and raisins. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and then gently fold them into the batter using a rubber spatula. Pour into prepared pan and bake 4 hours. Remove from pan when completely cooled. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.

*Allow the egg whites to come to room temperature to get better results.

Cost:
flour - $2.12/5 pound bag
baking powder - $2.38
sugar - $1.99/4 lb bag
butter - $1.79/lb
wine - $3.50/bottle
raisins - $1.12/box
eggs - $1.09/ dozen
pecans - $3.00
Total - $8.36

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Doris Sturm said...

That sounds absolutely delectible. I'm going to try it and use walnuts and grind them up because I don't care for pecans and I don't like chewing on pieces of nuts, so I think that would work too. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Mmmmm, I can almost smell it baking ;-)

Thanks and have a great day!

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...