Betty Crocker Chocolate Honey Bun Cake

Friday, February 26, 2010

I think I told y'all a time or two that I receive meal mail from several of the bigger "cooking" companies. One of them is Betty Crocker. They send all kinds of tempting things to my email. I drool....a lot :)





My newest Betty Crocker newsletter had this recipe in it and I almost died looking at it! I'm making it this weekend! Today I thought I would share the recipe with you and next week I'll tell you how it turned out. By the way, you can click on the name of the recipe below to visit the Betty Crocker website.

Chocolate Honey Bun Cake


Enjoy a chocolate version of "Honey Bun" cake, so named because its flavor is reminiscent of a sweet roll. 

Prep Time: 20 min
Total Time: 3 hours 20 min
Makes: 15 servings

What you'll need:
  • 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® butter recipe chocolate cake mix
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2/3 cup butter, melted
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 container (8 oz) sour cream
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Betty Crocker® Rich & Creamy chocolate frosting

1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Grease bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with shortening or cooking spray.

2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, water, melted butter, eggs and sour cream with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes (batter will be thick). Spread half of batter in pan.

3. In small bowl, mix brown sugar, pecans, chocolate chips and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter in pan. Drop remaining batter by spoonfuls evenly over pecan mixture; carefully spread to cover.

4. Bake 48 to 54 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly in center. Cool 10 minutes.

5. Poke top of warm cake every 1/2 inch with long-tined fork. Carefully spread frosting evenly and thinly over warm cake. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen cake. Cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours. Store loosely covered at room temperature.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): No change.

Make the Most of This Recipe

Substitution..
In a pinch, chopped walnuts or slivered almonds can be substituted for the pecans.

Success..
When frosting a warm cake, spread in just one direction, using long strokes. Using a back-and-forth motion often causes the top layer of cake to come off, leaving crumbs in the frosting.

Cost:
cake mix - $1.29
butter - $2.38
eggs (18 count) -$1.47
sour cream (medium) - $1.00
brown sugar - $1.44
pecans – $3.00
chocolate chips - $1.97
cinnamon - $1.85
frosting - $1.29
Total - $7.02

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Chris said...

We are making a cake for my son tonight just because he wants one. You're looks good.

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...