Vanilla sugar

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Some of you may remember that I won some vanilla beans. I tried so many different recipes using them it was amazing! And so delicious! I was astonished by the difference in taste using vanilla beans vs. vanilla extract (which I made from some of these beans also). My favorite recipe was for vanilla sugar. It is awesome sprinkled on French toast, pancakes, oatmeal and ice cream. I'm sure there are lots of other things it is good on. Just use your imagination!

What you'll need:
  • 1 vanilla bean
  • 4 Tbl powdered sugar
Roughly chop the vanilla bean and add it to a food processor or grinder with the sugar. Grind together until vanilla bean is "powdery". Let sit overnight. Store in an airtight container. Makes about 1/4 cup of vanilla sugar.

Cost:
vanilla beans - $2.49
powdered sugar - $1.67
Total - $2.26

3 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

CelticDragonfly said...

i bet this would be a good substitute for the vanilla and sugar for vanilla milk mmmmm

Mary said...

It's not only less expensive, it's also better tasting. Thanks for posting this. Have a wonderful day. Mary

Chris said...

I have one bean left and might make some of this. I was kind of saving it for another brulee but haven't gotten around to it.

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...