Helpful tips

Saturday, March 6, 2010

I told you the other day that I had received my March issue of Cooking Light magazine. In it was a section called 3-Step Pantry Planner. Step 1 was called Take stock now and I found it very helpful and thought I would share those things with you today.

Good for 6 months

  • Baking soda and baking powder
  • Brown rice stored in an airtight container
  • Nuts stored in a cool, dark and dry place and in an airtight container
  • Oil if unopened; 3 months once opened
  • Peanut butter once opened
Good for 1 year
  • Flour stored in an airtight container. High fat flour such as whole-wheat flour is good for 6 months stored in an airtight container
  • Grains such as barley and rolled oats stored in an airtight container
Good for more than 1 year
  • Canned goods: High-acid items like fruits can be stored for 18 months and low-acid items like meats and vegetables can last 2 - 5 years if the cans are in good shape (no leaks, rust, cracks or large dents)
  • Dried beans stored at room temperature are good indefinitely
  • Honey is best used within 2 years. If it crystallizes just set it down into a pan of simmering water over low heat to decrystallize
  • Granulated sugar kept away from moisture will last up to 2 years. Brown sugar should be used within 6 months
  • Vinegar can be kept indefinitely unopened. Once opened it should be used withing 6 months

3 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Chris said...

Helpful tips.

Mary said...

These are really helpful tips. Thanks for passing them on to us. Have a wonderful day...Mary

Joni said...

Great tips. Since I use oil so little I keep it in the refrigerator. Olive oil doesn't stay around too long at my place though.

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...