Quick pickles

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

 
We eat a lot of pickles around here. And use them in a lot of recipes too. This recipe for making your own pickles is a lot of fun to me. I like making things from scratch :)

What you'll need:
  • 2 (1 quart) glass jars
  • 14 - 16 (3 1/2" long) cucumbers
  • 2 Tbl vinegar, divided
  • 4 cloves of garlic, divided
  • 1 tsp whole mixed pickling spice, divided
  • 1/2 tsp whole mustard seeds or celery seeds, divided
  • 4 bay leaves, divided
  • 2 small bunches of fresh dill, divided
  • 1 quart water
  • 1/2 c coarse salt
Wash and drain the cucumbers and pack them into the two jars. Put half of each of the divided items above into each jar. Bring the water and salt to a boil and then pour it over the cucumbers to 1/2" of the top of the jars. Seal at once. Let stand in refrigerator for one week before opening the jars. After the initial one week the pickles will last for 3 weeks. Enjoy!!

Cost:
cucumbers - $1.00/2 lbs
vinegar (small) - $0.92
garlic clove – $0.50/1 head
pickling spice - $1.69
mustard seeds - $2.29/jar
bay leaves - $2.54/jar
dill - $1.20 in store/free from herb garden
Total - $5.31

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Chris said...

I think we have to try that this spring. I've never made my own pickles before.

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...