Chocolate coconut cookies

Saturday, April 17, 2010


I made these cookies last night. Yes, even when I'm sick I cook. I am, after all, the chief cook and bottle washer around these parts. At least that's what my husband tells me! I got this recipe out of my April issue of Cooking Light but I changed it up just a little. You can click here to view their version.

What you'll need:

  • 1 c flaked sweetened coconut
  • 1 c all purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 3/4 c packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 c butter, softened
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 c chocolate morsels (I used mini morsels because that's what I had on hand but you can use mini, regular or chocolate chunks)
Preheat oven to 350° 

Spread coconut on a cookie sheet 



Bake for 7 minutes, stirring once, until coconut is lightly toasted.



Set aside to cool.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place sugar and butter in a large bowl 


Beat on medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.


Beat in egg and vanilla until well combined. Add the flour mixture all at once.


 Beat on low speed until just combined. Add coconut and chocolate morsels.



Stir together mixing well.



Drop by level tablespoons 2" apart onto a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 10 minutes or until bottoms of cookies are golden brown.


Remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack. 



Now get a big glass of milk and enjoy! I got 20 cookies out of this recipe. Here's what left of them with just two people eating them...


 Yes, they were that good!


Cost:
shredded coconut - $2.00
all purpose flour - $1.25
baking powder - $1.14
baking soda - $0.50
brown sugar - $1.44
butter - $2.38
vanilla (2 oz) - $1.96
eggs (18 count) -$1.47
chocolate chips - $1.97
Total - $2.17

0 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...