Garlic and cream cheese mashed potatoes

Thursday, April 1, 2010

If you haven't figured it out by now, we are potato eating fools around here! I'm always looking for ways to make the "same old thing" different. We had these mashed potatoes last night and they were creamy and delicious! One note, I used Neufchatel cheese instead of regular cream cheese. It's got 1/3 the amount of fat as regular cream cheese and tastes just as delicious!

What you'll need:
  • 2 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 8 oz cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese, softened and cut into cubes
  • 1 Tbl butter
  • 1 tsp salt

Cook potatoes and garlic in boiling water in large saucepan 20 min. or until potatoes are tender; drain. Mash potatoes until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients until well blended. Makes 6 - 8 servings... or feeds 2 with a little leftover if you're potato lovers like us :)

Cost:
potatoes - $2.84/5 lb bag
garlic cloves - $1.12
cream cheese - $2.06
butter - $2.38
Total - $4.03

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Chris said...

I have a roast beef waiting for dinner tonight, you have inspired my side dish, or one of them.

I am thinking evil thoughts...do you think Boursin cheese would be too much over the top instead of neufchatel?

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...