Need a change from classic beef stew? Go Mexican with this easy-to-make flavor-packed version from Betty Crocker® that goes together in minutes!
What you'll need:
- 2 lb beef stew meat
- 1 can (28 oz) Muir Glen® organic diced tomatoes, undrained*
- 1 cup frozen small whole onions (from 1-lb bag)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 package (1 oz) Old El Paso® taco seasoning mix
- 1 can (15 oz) Progresso® black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 can (11 oz) Green Giant® Mexicorn® whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
- In 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, mix beef, tomatoes, frozen onions and chili powder.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 9 to 11 hours.
- With whisk, stir in taco seasoning mix. Stir in black beans and corn. Increase heat setting to High; cover and cook 15 to 30 minutes longer or until thickened.
Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.
Serve this stew topped with shredded Mexican cheese blend and chopped fresh cilantro leaves for an extra-special touch.
Frozen small whole onions, also called pearl onions, are loaded with flavor and are so convenient to use. If you don’t have them on hand, you can substitute 1/2 cup chopped onion.*If you are unable to find Muir Glen® organic diced tomatoes, you can substitute any type of diced tomatoes you have available.
stew meat - $2.29/lb
diced tomatoes - $1.29
onions - $3.29/bag
taco seasoning - 99¢
black beans - $1.39
Mexicorn® - $2.19
Total - $11.73