Cute Halloween cookies

Friday, October 8, 2010

I'm putting together a package to send to my kids for Halloween and I'm including these cookies that I made last night and decorated today. Tim was my taste tester and he says they're great!

What you'll need:

For cookies:
  • About 5 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 c butter, softened
  • 1 c sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 Tbl milk
  • Powdered sugar for rolling out dough
For frosting (each batch...I used 3 batches total for the above cookie recipe):
  • 1 c powdered sugar
  • 2 - 3 tsp milk
  • 3 tsp light corn syrup
  • 1/4 tsp almond extract
  • Assorted food coloring
For cookies:


Sift together 3 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Beat butter and sugar until light in color. Add egg and milk and beat until well combined. Gradually add flour until well combined. Add additional flour a little at a time until mixture pulls away from side of bowl and is of rolling consistency. Divide dough in half and wrap in waxed paper. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.

Preheat oven to 375°


Sprinkle rolling surface and rolling pin with powdered sugar. Working with one half of dough at a time, roll to 1/4" thickness. Cut into desired shapes and place cookies on a wax paper lined or greased cookie sheet.

*Just a note here, I'm working with only one cookie sheet so I placed the remainder of my dough back in the fridge while each pan was baking. Also, I used waxed paper on my cookie sheet for the first batch and they stuck so I sprayed my pan with non-stick cooking spray for the remaining batches and that worked perfectly. I got my Halloween shaped cookie cutters at Walmart for $9.00 and they had really cute shapes: a witch, a frankenstein, a ghost, pumpkins, tombstones, etc.*


Bake for 7 - 9 minutes, turning cookie sheet once halfway through baking time, until cookies are just starting to brown around edges. Let cookies rest on cookie sheet for 2 minutes and then move to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before frosting. I let mine cool overnight just because I was tired and didn't want to tackle the frosting last night. 



 I got about 50 cookies out of the batch.

For frosting:


In a bowl mix together sugar and milk using a whisk. It will be very thick. Whisk in corn syrup and almond extract. Add desired colors. If it's too thick, add a little more corn syrup. If it's too thin, add a little more sugar. I started with my base of white and used a pastry brush to paint all the white parts of my cookies then added food colors to make each color. At first I did the red, then added some yellow and made it orange then added some blue to make the gray....you get the idea. I just painted each color and then changed the color and painted those sections. I also place some in a baggie and piped the faces on a few of them...





Cost:
flour - $2.69/5 lb bag
baking powder - $2.12/can
butter - $1.79/tub
sugar - $2.86/4 lb bag
egg - $1.49/dozen
milk - $2.26/gallon
powdered sugar - $2.14/2 lb bag
corn syrup - $2.86/bottle
almond extract - $3.26/bottle
Total - $3.36

0 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...