Drop dumplings

Saturday, October 16, 2010

People who make dumplings will argue that their way is the best way. I've made roll-and-cut dumplings, dumplings out of biscuits and drop dumplings. I like them all. I've really been needing "hot stuff" lately because I've been so cold and chicken & dumplings sound just right! This recipe is delicious...I say the sugar makes a huge difference.

What you'll need:
  • 3 c flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 c + 2 Tbl milk
  • 1 egg
  • 4 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 c vegetable oil
Mix all ingredients together until well combined. Drop by spoonfuls into hot broth and boil until centers are done.

Cost:
all purpose flour - $1.25/bag
milk - $1.78/gallon
eggs (18 count) -$1.47
baking powder - $1.14
sugar - $2.42/bag
vegetable oil (regular) - $2.28
Total - $1.02

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Chris said...

I like the thicker drop dumplings like this compared to the thin "pastry" style my grandmother used to make.

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...