Orange Sherbet

Tuesday, October 19, 2010


I tend to call this orange ice cream when in fact it's a sherbet. Ice cream is made with milk & cream and sherbet is made with fruit juice and a dairy product (usually milk). I use heavy cream which makes this very smooth and delicious.

What you'll need:

  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 c. orange juice (from about 5 oranges)
  • Zest of one orange
  • 2 c. heavy cream
  • 1 tsp. orange extract
  • Red & yellow food coloring
 Juice oranges. I juice by hand but you can use a juicer if you like. Juice until you get 1 cup. You can strain the juice if you'd want to but I like the bits of orange that get into it. Just make sure there aren't any seeds in there!



Put sugar into a saucepan and zest one orange into it...


Add eggs and stir well. Add remaining ingredients and stir until combined. I used 3 drops of red food coloring and 5 drops of yellow food coloring to get my orange color.


Cook and stir over low heat just until heated through. Pour into another container (I used a cake pan) and place in freezer until thoroughly cold, about 2 hours.


It kind of looks like a cake doesn't it?

Once mixture is very cold, pour into ice cream machine and churn according to your machine's directions. My machine make soft serve ice cream and I like it a little firmer so I put it into another container, cover with plastic wrap and freeze it until firm...



It's oh so good. I know ice cream, I'm sorry, sherbet, doesn't seem like a fall food, but it really hit the spot!

Cost:
eggs (18 count) -$1.47
sugar - $2.42
oranges - $2.24/5-lb bag
heavy cream - $2.45/pint
orange extract - $2.89/2-oz bottle
Total - $4.37

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Chris said...

I've never made my own sherbet. I didn't have any clue on how to, even though I've made ice cream many times. This looks good and I'll have to try it myself.

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...