Do it your way pizza

Monday, November 29, 2010


I made pizza last week. I got an urge for some... and didn't really have an extra $20 to order some... so I made some instead....for a lot less than $20. And we had two pizzas. One for me, and the one shown up there for Tim. What? You want to see mine too? K, here ya go:

Yum!



What you'll need (for one deep dish pizza or two thin crust pizzas):
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 cup warm water (110°)
  • Sauce (I used tomato paste mixed with a little water & pizza seasoning for Tim's and Butter mixed with a little garlic for mine)
  • Pizza seasoning
  • Mozzarella cheese
  • Various toppings
One quick note here: The dough can be mixed by hand using a big spoon. I used my dough hooks on my stand mixer to make it but I was being lazy (lol). If you don't have a stand mixer with dough hooks, mix it by hand. Do NOT use a regular mixer with beaters. That will mess your dough up!

Preheat oven to 375° and spray a pizza pan with non-stick cooking spray; set aside. If your don't have a pizza pan, any baking pan will work. You could put it into a rectangular pan or on a cookie sheet.

Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water until a soft ball forms. Turn out onto a flour coated surface. Sprinkle flour on top of dough. Lightly knead for about 2 minutes. This dough doesn't need much kneading at all. Roll out with a flour covered rolling pin to size of pizza pan. (For thin crust pizza, divide dough in half and roll out thin.)

Place dough on pan and push to edges with your fingertips forming the crust. Spread sauce on dough. Top with cheese. Now, we like a lot of cheese and use about 2 cups for each pizza but the amount is up to you!

Add your toppings. For Tim's I used pepperoni, cooked pork sausage (Look around the sausage area {breakfast sausage, link sausage, etc.} of the grocery store. I found a one pound package at Ingles that was ground and out of the casing for only $1.89! Just throw it in a frying pan and cook & stir until it's browned.), ½ chopped green bell pepper, ½ chopped red onion & 1 small, large-diced tomato (it was a small tomato that I cut into big chunks). For mine I used pepperoni & pork sausage. If you have any leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, I bet it would rock a pizza!

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until cheese is bubbly & crust is golden. 

Cost:
For dough:
all purpose flour - $1.25
yeast - $1.99/3-pack
vegetable oil (regular) - $2.28
sugar - $2.42

Subtotal - $1.24

For toppings:
pepperonis - $1.79
pork sausage - $1.89/lb
bell pepper - 88¢
onion - 76¢
tomato - $1.99/4-pack
mozzarella - $2.26/2-cup bag already shredded
Total - $11.80 for 2 deep dish pizzas/$5.90 per pizza


 Mmmmm. Now that's MONEY! 


And speaking of money...

Don't forget to enter my giveaway! I know you want that $60 from CSN Stores! Click on the money bag at the top of this page to enter!

4 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Doris Sturm said...

Mmmm, I've been thinking of a nice hot pizzy for days! You read my mind....that looks delish!

Donnie said...

That looks so good and you made it really sound easy. My husband says he's not a picky eater but he is. He has to have a pretty thin crust. I'll try it to see how thin I can get the crust. Thanks for the recipe.

Beth said...

Kathy, Your pizza looks great! I make homemade pizza every so often. My favorite is pepperoni and second favorite is Italian sausage. I sure do enjoy your blogs, your friendship, your creativity. I have learned a lot from you, dear sweet lady! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!
Blessings, Beth

Chris said...

They both look great to me! We do pizza a lot more often since Alexis got her stand mixer.

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...