Kat's cheatin' beef stew

Saturday, November 27, 2010






Hey guys! I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I know normally I'd be posting Thanksgiving dinner leftover recipes but I made this stew last week and wanted to share the recipe with y'all. And yes, yesterday we ate leftovers. But last night it was 30° and this stew would have hit the spot! I call it a cheatin' stew because you just throw it all together & it's practically done.





What you'll need:

  • 1 lb stew meat
  • Butter
  • Season salt
  • Onion powder
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • Soy sauce
  • 2 cans new potatoes, drained
  • 1 can sliced carrots, drained
  • 1 can sweet peas, drained
  • 1 can sweet whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 can red kidney beans, drained
  • 6 cups water
  • 3 pkgs brown gravy mix

Melt butter in a skillet over high heat. Add meat. Dust with season salt & onion powder*. Add garlic cloves and soy sauce. Stir & cook until outside of meat is seared on all sides. Remove from heat. Add water & brown gravy mix to a large pot or dutch oven. Add meat mixture and canned items. Cook over medium heat for 3 - 4 hours or until meat is tender & gravy thickens, stirring occasionally. Serve with biscuits.



Cost:
stew meat - $2.06
butter - $2.38
new potatoes - 92¢/can
carrots - 78¢/can
peas - 78¢/can
corn - 50¢/can
kidney beans - 65¢/can
brown gravy mix - 33¢/pkg
Total - $7.84



*I am allergic to onions so I use the powder for flavor and take a Benedryl (yeah, it's not fun to be me sometimes). You can use ½ cup chopped real onions if you'd prefer, cooking them with the meat until translucent.

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Laurie said...

I have sooo got to try this. Rigth now my stew recipe is not so good, so I am definately adding this to my list!

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...