Thanksgiving switch-up: Classic baked corn pudding

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Every year for Thanksgiving I basically make the same meal with one or two exceptions. For example, I sometimes make potato salad instead of mashed potatoes or I'll use a different stuffing recipe. This year I was going to make my corn fritters (the non-spicy version...so super delicious with maple syrup!) instead of corn-on-the-cob but then I came across the following recipe on the Betty Crocker website and decided that this is it!! (I'll show you a picture of mine after Thanksgiving.)

Classic Baked Corn Pudding







What you'll need:
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 small onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
  • 1/2 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 4 cups milk (1 quart)
  • 6 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
  • 2 bags (12 oz) Green Giant ® Valley Fresh Steamers™ Niblets® frozen corn, thawed, drained
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoon parsley flakes
  • 3/4 cup Progresso® plain bread crumbs
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted 

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 13x9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish or 3-quart casserole with cooking spray.

In 4-quart Dutch oven, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Stir in milk. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Gradually stir in eggs and cheese. Stir in corn and parsley. Pour into baking dish.
In small bowl, mix bread crumbs and 3 tablespoons melted butter; sprinkle over corn mixture.

Bake uncovered 55 to 65 minutes or until mixture is set and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 16 servings (1/2 cup each)

Substitution
You can use three 15.25-ounce cans of Green Giant® whole kernel corn, drained, instead of the frozen corn.

Variation
For a change of flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves with the parsley.

Cost*:
butter - $2.38
all purpose flour - $1.25
onion - 78¢
milk - $1.78/gallon
eggs (18 count) -$1.47
cheddar cheese block - $3.98
corn -50¢/can
bread crumbs - $1.89
Total - $4.39

Don't forget to come visit me here the day after Thanksgiving! I'll be having a little Black Friday deal right here and it won't cost you a dime! Matter of fact, you'll be getting a few dimes. But that's all I'm telling you right now...you'll just have to be here Friday to find out just how many dimes that will be ;-) I won't be here again until Friday... tomorrow is a HUGE cooking day for me and I doubt I'll even look at the computer. I hope all of you & your families have the most wonderful, fun, blessed Thanksgiving ever!





*No offense to Betty Crocker but I use generic products instead of the name brand (they taste just as good if you cook them right ) and my cost reflects that use of generic products.

0 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...