Red velvet cake

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I made this cake for Thanksgiving and it was really, really good! Here's what it started out looking like:


And after we dug into it:


OK, those aren't the BEST pictures ever but the cake was delicious!




What you'll need:
  • ½ cup shortening
  • 1 ½ cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp red food coloring
  • 2 Tbl cocoa
  • 1 Tbl vinegar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk + 1 Tbl lemon juice*
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 ½ flour
  • 1 tsp vanilla
I used my stand mixer to make this cake, so it was running the whole time. If you are using a hand mixer, mix well after each addition of ingredients. 

*If you don't have buttermilk on hand (which I didn't), mix together the milk & lemon juice and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350° Mix together baking soda & vinegar & set aside. Cream shortening and then beat in the sugar. Allow to mix until sugar granules are dissolved (about 5 minutes). Mix together food coloring & cocoa and add to batter. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix together salt & flour and add alternately with milk to batter, starting and ending with flour. Beat in vanilla. Fold in baking soda/vinegar mixture. Pour into 3 - 8" pans or 2 - 9" pans & bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool slightly in pans on wire racks (about 10 minutes) then remove from pans & allow to cool completely on wire racks (about 2 hours). Frost as desired. I used the frosting recipe that I gave you yesterday.

Cost:
shortening - $1.89
sugar - $2.42
eggs (18 count) -$1.47
cocoa - $2.84
vinegar (small) - $0.92
all purpose flour - $1.25
milk - $1.78/gallon
Total - $3.19

2 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Donnie said...

That looks so pretty. I like how you decorated the icing. I'm ready for my slice-got my coffee....lol....

Chris said...

Excellent job. It looks moist and drop dead gorgeous.

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...