Homemade cranberry sauce

Sunday, December 18, 2011


I told you in my post yesterday that I made my entire Thanksgiving dinner from scratch this year. Most years I take shortcuts like buying premade pie shells and canned cranberry sauce, but not this year. I decided to go all out! Let me tell you, the extra work was well worth the effort! Everything was simply delicious. I even heard the phrase "this is the best everything ever!" That puts a smile on a cook's face...I promise you that!

Today's recipe is the one I followed to make homemade cranberry sauce. It's so simple & so much better than canned!

What you'll need:

2 cups sugar
2 cups water
1 lb (4 cups) fresh cranberries, rinsed

Combine sugar and water in a large saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring often. Boil 5 minutes. (This creates a "simple syrup" and is what sweetens your sauce.) Add cranberries and cook and stir for an additional 5 minutes or until skins pop. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly, stirring occasionally. Serve warm or cold.*


*To mold sauce, cook 10 minutes longer, or until a drop jells on a cold plate. Pour into a 4-cup mold. Chill until firm. To unmold, set mold into a large bowl of hot water to loosen from edge, invert onto serving plate.

Makes 4 cups.

Cost:
sugar - $3.29/lb
cranberries - $2.56/lb
Total - $2.85

1 of my favorite chefs had this to say....:

Chris said...

Well welcome back! I am still just impressed you pulled off Thanksgiving for $45.

Post a Comment

If we are what we eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy! C'mon into the kitchen with me... Let's do some Happy Cooking!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...